Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Incident at the Gym

I have officially been married for 100 days now so that makes me an expert on… nothing.  I got nothing.  I would like to say though, all the things that we heard before we got married like “money is the hardest” or “it’s a learning experience” are ALL TRUE!  I love being married please do not misunderstand me, we are just learning a bunch of new things.  For example, this whole money/ finance business is super dumb and I don’t want to do it anymore!!  We are both very laid back people so there has never been any fighting over anything like this (there probably will be before we die) so we just keep making new ways to attack the bills.  Well, it is my turn to give it an old college try and it really opened my eyes when I sat down and looked at where all the money was going.  I completely agree with whoever told us that we both need to be involved with the finances/ budgeting.  It also makes you think twice before you spend something.  While working my way through the bills and such, I saw that we were paying $53 a month for our gym membership.  I swore to myself that since we are paying that $53 a month I am going to get my $53 worth!!  So I went to the gym this morning at 6:30 and I rolled up in there ready to go!  I decided to get on the bike and do some cardio, there I could zone out and just do my thing.  Well, I got a little over-eager and picked the cardio program (this one changes the intensity until you reach your target heart rate).  I started pedaling and could feel the resistance getting stronger and I just thought this is no problem I could do this for 20 minutes, no sweat.  Well after about 4 minutes and the pedals kept getting harder to pedal I decided to change the program quickly before anyone noticed :x.  I went with the fat burner program which probably sounds harder but it’s not.  I then debated on whether or not to go and do free weights or the weight machines.  I decided to go and use the weight machines I mean how hard can they be right??  I basically jinxed myself.  I went to a machine which I have used before so I busted out 3 sets and decided to move on to one I have never used before. Feeling good and confident,  I adjusted the seat, got comfortable then looked for the diagram to show how to use the machine.  Well the diagram is a hologram…. Who ever thought of this was stupid!  Once sitting in the seat I could see figures #1 and #3 but #2 couldn’t be found.  I pretty much had to turn myself upside down to see the thing and to get it to move, I had to slide back and forth in the chair.  I basically had to do a workout to figure out how to use the thing!  You know as well as I do that people were staring at me trying to figure out what I was doing.  I never really figured out how to use the machine but I had already committed myself and I didn’t want to look like a complete idiot so I made something up.  I put my legs in it and moved them around a little bit, made some faces like I was straining.  I had to do 3 sets of 10 of these “exercises” or else people would think I was a pansy or something. (We both know no one was concerned with me and my workout, I just had to do it… mental block against being a pansy) I am sure the bodybuilder men who were working out across from me knew I was doing it wrong and would have a good laugh at my expense later, which is fine.  Moral of the story, stick with the machines you know how to use at the gym and if you don’t know how to use any, stick with the free weights.  I will say though this will not discourage me from trying again tomorrow I will just steer clear of the hologram machines.  I might not have gotten my $1.71 worth of working out today but at least I gave some people a good laugh (including myself) until next time…….

No comments:

Post a Comment